The BRCATrue test is best suited for individuals with either a history of early onset breast or ovarian cancer or a strong family history of breast and/or ovarian cancer. Individuals with the following medical or family history factors should consider testing for mutations in BRCA1/2:
- Early onset breast cancer (under 50 years of age)
- Bilateral or multiple breast cancers
- Diagnosed with both breast and ovarian cancer
- Family history of breast and/or ovarian cancer
BRCATrue® is a next-generation sequencing test that searches for mutations in BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes. Having mutations in either the BRCA1 or the BRCA2 gene significantly increases a patient’s risk for breast, ovarian and other types of cancers.
Some known Statistics:
- 1 in 8 women are affected by breast cancer in their lifetime.
- 1 in 71 women are affected by ovarian cancer in their lifetime.
- 80% of families with a pattern of breast and ovarian cancer have been attributed to BRCA1/2 mutations.